At the start of a new decade, the PRIMET Board reflected on progress in recent years and focused on the road ahead by re-stating our purpose as 3 primary GOALS and associated activities that support our members.
Promote the evolution of the weather services industry in Europe:
- Representing the interests of the service providers with relevant stakeholders;
- Removing economic and political barriers to productive service development;
- Supporting the evolution of professional standards were needed;
- Communicating benefits and challenges of the weather service industry to all relevant stakeholders;
- Encouraging progress towards open access to publicly-funded data;
- Ensuring progress towards a level playing field for all market participants;
- Providing a unified channel of communication between the private sector and key publicly-funded organisations, including WMO, ECOMET, EUMETSAT, ECMWF as well as the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services.
Support the development of a productive weather services value chain, engaging instrument suppliers, NHMS, weather service providers, customer and consumer communities and other stakeholders:
- Contribute evidence and know-how to the evolution of efficient business models;
- Cooperating with other regional and sector industry associations in the value chain;
- Supporting education and training of professionals in the sector;
- Informing members about relevant developments in the sector;
- Advising members on the possible contributions to the goals.
Support the society in better managing impact of weather on the economic, social and environmental welfare of stakeholders:
- Participating in the development and communication of the high level society goals for the weather industry;
- Contributing the know-how about the possible courses of action;
- Working in partnership with publicly-funded organisations to pursue dialogue with their governments in matters which seek to optimise the overall value of weather services delivered to the whole community;
- Documenting and communicating successes.